The first dance is always special, no matter what your song choice is. Some couples prefer to go with an old school love song while another couple might prefer something more contemporary.
But whatever you choose, you have to have the music playing. Is it going to be a DJ or are you going to hire a band like my couple here did? There are no wrong answers, and there are pros for both. If your music choices are an important part of your reception for you, then take your time listening to the offerings from both the DJ’s and the bands. Don’t settle for the guy from work who has an iPod and some speakers.
Both professional DJ’s and bands always have backup equipment on hand, and the quality of their equipment is top notch. They are prepared for just about anything that can go wrong and keep the party flowing.
Hire a DJ:
- A professional DJ has an amazing song list available, often in the 10’s of thousands to choose from.
- The songs played will be recognized by you and the guests.
- You can ask them for a specific genre.
- You can request specific songs to play and NOT to play.
- They can read the crowd and they know what songs get people up and dancing.
- They often serve as an MC as well – but you need to be sure the DJ you interview is willing to take on that task.
- The cost of a single DJ is often less than the cost of a band.
Hire a Band:
- A professional live band will have an amazing song list available as well.
- Some bands do not offer any genres other than their own style, so know what they play.
- A live band will get your guests to stay later in the reception, because who doesn’t love to dance to live music!
- Often you can adjust the size of the band, and having 1 or 2 playing during cocktails and dinner, then the full band for the party.
- Some band leaders will do the MC duties, but again, you need to clarify that at the interview.
- By having a DJ and a band at the reception, you can have the best of both worlds.
- The DJ can fill in while the band takes their 15 minute break, often per hour.
- The DJ can play those easily recognizable songs.
- Either the DJ or the band leader may act as the MC.
- Your guests get the experience of a live performance.
No matter what decision you make, be sure the entertainer understands your crowd, the types of music preferred and what you hope to achieve with music – a FULL dance floor! Then relax and let them work their musical magic.
If you want our assistance in helping you find the perfect solution for your event, reach out to Debbie!